Disabled Parking Permits
Out of State Residents
Disabled parking permits are issued at your local tag office.
Customers are required to present a completed
The affidavit is required to be signed by a licensed Georgia physician and notarized.
A Georgia driver's license or ID card is required.
If you wish to have your name changed on your registration due to marriage or divorce you must first apply for a new title.
A name change requires you to submit your original certificate of title and supporting certified legal documents (i.e., certified copy of the marriage certificate or divorce decree).
If the vehicle is financed, only the security lien holder can request the name change.
New in-State Residents
New residents moving to DeKalb County from other Georgia
counties must register their vehicles within 30 days of establishing residency.
A copy of the registration from the previous county along with either an updated Georgia
drivers license or ID card, deed, lease agreement or current utility statement is required.
Back To Top
New residents from out of state must register in person at one of our three office locations
within 30 days of establishing residency.
Effective July 1, 2007, new residents are required to have a valid Georgia Driver's
License or Georgia Identification Card before registering their vehicle.
The original certificate of title from out of state is required to be surrendered
to our office so that a new Georgia title may be applied for.
The owner listed on the face of the original out of state title must be present
and provide a valid Georgia driver's license or ID card. If the title lists multiple owners,
all owners must be present, or those owners who cannot be present must provide
an original notarized Power-of-Attorney and copy of their Georgia driver's license or ID card.
The Power-of-Attorney must include the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number
of the vehicle being registered. The current registration from the former state will also be
requested along with the current mileage of the vehicle.
Please click here
for new Insurance information effective January 1st, 2004.
If the out of state title is being held by a lien holder, a copy of the title
or the loan agreement or bill of sale, showing the owner or owners of the vehicle,
a complete description of the vehicle and the name and mailing address of the lien-holder
along with the out of state registration must be presented.
If the vehicle is leased, the lessee must have the lease agreement showing
a complete description of the vehicle and the complete name and address of
leasing company along with an original notarized
Power of Attorney from the leasing company.
A Georgia Emissions Certificate may also be required.
The three most current years are exempt along with all vehicles 25 years or older.
For more information on emissions testing please visit
New residents entering the state of Georgia may be required to a title tax (TAVT)
of 6.5% in 2013, 6.75% in 2014 or 7% in 2015 of the fair market value of the vehicle
at the time of initial registration.
Documentation will be required to show proof of residency in DeKalb County as follows
New Resident Costs:
- Lease, deed or closing statement with current DeKalb County Address
- Current utility statement with current DeKalb County Address
- Current paycheck stub with current DeKalb County Address
- Bank statement with current DeKalb County Address
BACK TO TOP
- Tag - $20.00
- Title Processing Fee - $18.00
- Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT). Can be paid two ways:
- Total paid at time of registration OR
- 50% paid at time of registration and balance paid within 12 months
- Penalties apply if vehicle is not registered within 30 days of establishing residency
License plates are personal property of the vehicle owner. During a change of ownership, license plates should be removed from the vehicle and retained by the seller. This will allow the seller to transfer the tag to a newly acquired vehicle. If you trade-in, sell, or dispose of your vehicle, retain your license plate and transfer it to your new vehicle. Eligibility to transfer a tag follows:
- The vehicle the tag was originally issued to, must be sold. An affidavit will have to be signed at the tag office acknowledging that the previous vehicle has been sold.
- The new registration must read exactly as the previous registration. Ownership must be the same. For example, if the previous registration read John Smith and Suzie Smith, the new registration must read John Smith and Suzie Smith. If the new registration reads Suzie Smith and John Smith, the tag can not be transferred.
- The tag must be applied to a vehicle of the same kind. Passenger vehicle to passenger vehicle, trailer to trailer, motorcycle to motorcycle, etc.
When there is a probated will, the applicant must provide the out of state title,
or if available the current Georgia title in the deceased party's name, along with a certified copy of the
Probated Will, or letter of Testamentary, or permanent Letters of Administration, or Year's Support that gives a
complete description of vehicle. Also required are current validated registration and an original Georgia
emission certificate. Please
click here for new Insurance information effective January 1 st, 2004.
Click here for a link to our
BACK TO TOP