layout graphic  
layout graphic
layout graphic
 
 
layout graphic layout graphic
increase font sizedecrease font size
 
layout graphic
ABOUT US | NEWSROOM | LIVING IN DEKALB | DOING BUSINESS WITH DEKALB | VISITING DEKALB
layout graphic layout graphic
layout graphic layout graphic
  History
Fire Rescue
 
layout graphic
layout graphic DeKalb County > Fire Rescue > History
layout graphic

layout graphic
Fire Rescue
1950 W. Exchange Place
Tucker, Georgia 30084
Phone: 678-406-7750
Map
 

       

   
layout graphic
History

The legacy of fire protection in DeKalb County began with a single firefighter. In 1934, J.V. Draughon in Nashville, TN, offered DeKalb's citizens fire suppression for just $18 per quarter or $72 per year. Three years later in 1937, the county bought Draughon's operation for $5,500 and created the DeKalb Fire Department. The acquisition included the station on North Decatur Road, a stove, four beds and six-cylinder fire engine with a 250-gallon tank mounted on a Federal chassis.

 
The alarm system in those days consisted of a rat trap rigged to a light switch. In an emergency, the station number was dialed, which sprang the trap, turning the lights on, letting the crew know they were needed. Early Fire Rescue
Starting pay for a firefighter was about $140 a month. Shifts were 24 hours on and 24 hours off, vacation was taken between May and September, and every 16 shifts firefighters received a paid day off, called a "Candler day" (now called a "liberty day"). Initially, there was no specific work uniform, and turnout gear consisted of a rubber raincoat, fisherman-style rubber bonnet, and rubber boots.
 
1975 Ward LaFrauce Foam/Pumper In 1941, the department bought its first brand new engine - a Pirsch pumper. Though the engine has since been retired, it is still used for displays and paraded, and even holds the record for oldest working apparatus in Atlanta.
 
As both the county and the department grew, the need for another arose. In 1947, County Commissioner Scott Candler created the Brookhaven Fire Tax District. It would take about two years to raise enough money to build, staff and equip the station. However, the Brookhaven Express opened the door to build seven more stations in the next five years:
 
  • Station #3 : Avondale Estates
  • Station #4: Chamblee
  • Station #5: Tucker
  • Station #6: McAfee Road (Now Station #26)
  • Station #7: off Glenwood Road
  • Station #8: at Briarcliff and Lavista Roads (moved to Clairmont Road)
  • Station #9: Charles L. McClarty Fire Equipment Building (moved to North Druid Hills)

Methods of communication and dispatch were still primitive by today's standards. Headquarters was at Station 1, and each station had its own fire phone. Citizens directly called the station closest to them. After an emergency call came in, each station would report the call to Headquarters along with any respects for additional assistance. While the rest of the crew responded to the call, one firefighter stayed at the station in case any other calls were received. The chief carried the only radio, which operated on a police band. If he needed to call for additional units, he would notify police dispatch to relay the message to Headquarters, who would then call the appropriate station to respond.

For more of the DeKalb County Fire Rescue history, click here.

 
layout graphic layout graphic
I WANT TO:
layout graphic
layout graphic
Quick Links:
BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
BOC AGENDA
DCTV
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
EMERGENCY AFTER HRS SERVICE NUMBERS
FIRE RESCUE
JOB OPPORTUNITIES
OFFICE OF SENIOR AFFAIRS
ONLINE PAYMENTS
PLANNING & SUSTAINABILITY
POLICE DEPARTMENT
PORTER SANFORD ARTS CENTER
PROPERTY APPRAISAL DEPARTMENT
PURCHASING & CONTRACTING
RECREATION, PARKS & CULTURAL AFFAIRS
TAX COMMISSIONER
layout graphic
Bottom of page.
layout graphic

© 2010 DeKalb County, Georgia